Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tension

Q. Hi I wanted to say thank you for the videos they are a big help and I am working on a baby blanket for my niece that is due in August I just have a couple of questions if you dont mind...First, I can not get the stitches consistent all the way across they are either too tight or way to loose. How can I fix this? then second, when I go to do the yarn over that is ok but when I actually pull it through it frays the yarn and I end up only pulling half of what I am supposed to...Please help???

A. You are very welcome for these crochet videos! Actually, I've got to give my niece a lot of credit, because she's the one who had the idea!

To answer the first part of your question, it sounds like you need to use one hand for your "tension". If you are right-handed, and use your right hand to actually crochet, then the "tension" hand would be your left hand. (Vice-versa if you're left-handed.) I show how I do this on my first crochet video:

Crochet Video 1 - This one shows the "tension" technique 1/4 the way from the beginning.

Crochet Video 2 - This one shows the "tension" technique 3/4 the way through.

The second difficulty you mentioned is also tension-related. When you're making your stitch, if your tension isn't tight enough, then you'll lose some "plys" part of your yarn as you're pulling it through your stitch. Also, remember to turn your hook to face down as you're pulling it through your stitch.

Try these ideas out, and see if they help - - if not, let me know!

No comments: